Waxing is one of the preferred choices among all hair removing methods. But fixing an appointment in salons and sparing time for it is one huge task. This requires a lot of your time and a good amount of money simultaneously. But the task can be made less tiring if you are doing it at home. A lot of people doing waxing at home find it easier than going to parlors. Yet few people know less about waxing as it is a skillful activity. If you want to become an expert in waxing, this article is going to be a real help to you. Because we are going to share a few secrets that will entirely change your waxing experience at home.
1. Things to be kept in mind before waxing at home:
Some of the things should be kept in mind before starting wax at home;
- Hair Length: Hair length is of great importance prior you think about waxing. At least 1/4th of an inch is best for a perfect pull off.
- Monitoring Menstruation: Always have a check on your cycle before waxing. It is ideal to wax 2 weeks after you are done with your cycle.
- Avoid Exfoliation: Scrubbing before waxing is never recommended. It can make the skin prone to allergies and sensitive to pain.
- Avoid Moisturizer: Moisturizer can hinder the waxing process. It forms a layer that makes it difficult to pull off hair with complete control over them.
- Hygiene is important: Always maintain your hygiene. Wash your hands, keep your tools cleans to avoid any germs and bacterial infections.
- Make skin Numb: Icing is the best way to make the skin numb before waxing. This will make your skin less sensitive to pain.
2. Various types of Wax:
Sugar wax: This is one of the common types of wax often used in salons and at home with no side effects. It contains all the natural ingredients such as water, sugar, and lemon. It is free of preservatives, so can easily be used on sensitive skin.
- Fruit wax: This is another type of wax that contains fruit extracts in it. With antioxidants present in it, it nourishes the skin and has a gentle action on it. It is good for people with sensitive skin.
- Chocolate wax: This is another type of wax which is quite new in beauty products. With all-natural oils and chocolate, this wax gives you an amazing waxing experience. This is why the wax is a little on the expensive side.
- Hot wax: This wax works well only if it melted through heat. The wax is suitable for larger areas of the body and gives the best results as compared to other types of waxes. It requires a stick to apply it on the skin. The wax is best for tiny and thin hair.
- Cold wax: Mess-free cold wax is easy to carry along while traveling as it needs no heating. It is available in jars and the form of pre-cut strips with already applied wax on them. The consistency is a little hard or semi-solid.
3. Making wax at Home:
Making wax at home is quite an easy job to do. It requires all the basic ingredients which are usually available at home. Ingredients you need are;
- 1 cup sugar (white or brown)
- 2 Tb Lemon juice
- 2 Tb water
- Cooking pan
- Put the cooking pan on the stove with low flame. Add all the ingredients to it and stir it slowly. Gradually increase the flame while continuously stirring it. Bring the mixture to boil.
- While lowering down the flame, check on the consistency of the mixture. Meanwhile, the mixture will turn golden. You are done if the consistency is a little thicker than honey.
- Pour the prepared mixture in a container and leave it to cool down for at least 45 minutes. After then you can use apply this wax to your desired areas?
4. How to wax at Home:
Once you are done with making a wax at home now you need to know the right way to wax your unwanted hair.
- Clear the area and keep all your waxing tools with you. Apply an adequate amount of wax with the help of a wooden stick on the desired part. Always apply wax in the direction of the hair.
- Take a wax strip, place it on the area and rub it a little to transfer the product on the skin.
- Pull off the strip against the direction of your hair. Press the area using your hand immediately to reduce the painful sensations.
- Repeat the procedure for the rest of the body parts. Wash your skin with a warm towel once you are done.
5. Useful tips while doing wax:
- Check your skin: Always look for burns or cuts on your skin to avoid any pain or allergic reactions to your skin.
- Regulate Temperature: Ensure that the wax must be of ideal temperature so that your skin does not burn.
- Follow the right direction: Always apply the wax in the direction of the hair to avoid ingrowth.
- Avoid too much wax: Apply an adequate amount of wax. Multiple applications can create a mess and will affect the efficacy of the waxing process.
- Use ice: To reduce the painful sensations on the skin rub ice on the skin or soak the skin for a while in ice-cold water.
6. After wax Routine:
After the wax routine is greatly important to avoid any skin problems.
- Wear loose clothing to avoid itching
- Avoid sun exposure after the wax
- Don’t moisturize a lot or use thick creams
- Don’t exfoliate your skin after a wax
Pros of Waxing:
- Hair take it longer to reappear again
- Lesser mess
- Reduced hair growth with multiple uses
- Lesser ingrown hair
Cons of Waxing:
- Painful process
- Can irritate sensitive skin
- You have to wait until hair grows to a certain length
To find out more wax strips, read our best wax strips reviews.